China Global Leadership Year
PROGRAM TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED
China is the rising global power: we seek leaders who can build bridges and forge a strong future.
Departure: Early August 2019/Early September 2019
Application Deadline: May 15, 2019
Volunteer Commitment: $2,990Read More
Our Year Program in China
11 Months (August – June) |
Shared Teacher Housing
The WorldTeach China program is currently suspended for development. Please check back for updates and also take a look at our other great programs!
WorldTeach has operated in China since the turn of the twenty-first century. Over the years, our efforts have evolved to meet local needs. As China has gone through immense internal and external change, WorldTeach’s program has changed as well. Once providing volunteer teachers to schools in the Hunan Province, WorldTeach now focuses its efforts on increasing cross-cultural relations, global citizenship, and leadership-capacity through its work with its Global Education Leaders, school administrations, and students in this developing economy.
Along with our longtime Hunan placements, WorldTeach’s Global Education Leaders will be placed in Ningbo and Yiwu, located in the Zhejiang province. Zhejiang is one of the most economically developed provinces in China, allowing its residents a firsthand glimpse into advancements in Chinese entrepreneurship and philanthropic actions, as well as national and international relations.
Over the past four decades, China has made great strides in opening its economy to the global market. Its GDP has grown tenfold, emerging as one of the world’s leading economies. This growth, and its accompanying industry, has made China a center for innovation and global leadership. This growth is also accompanied by an increased desire by the population to learn English language skills, making it the ideal environment for WorldTeach Global Education Leaders to advance toward their potential for a successful career in international education and affairs.
As a WorldTeach Global Education Leader, you will combine classroom leadership with professional development opportunities to make yourself more competitive in the global market. In the classroom, you will be a full-time English instructor, leading curriculum for large classes while serving as role models for your students. As a continuing student yourself, you will participate in training conferences and webinars that support personal and professional advancement as an emerging leader. This dual-faceted experience will increase your cultural competency, expand your understanding of global and regional education trends, and cultivate your global citizenship through the program’s curriculum. We have designed this holistic approach to maximize your participation and increase your marketability in your future endeavors.
All Global Education Leaders will have access to:
- Internationally-accredited 150-hour TEFL Certificate
Comparable TEFL Certification Certificate programs average over $1600 USD
- Monthly living stipend that equates to more than $4,500 USD over course of the full program
- Eleven months of housing that saves the equivalent of over $1,500 USD
- Access to graduate school scholarships for WorldTeach alumni
- Three professional development training conferences
- Two virtual panels with scholars and practitioners in education and international affairs
Previous guests include representatives from UNESCO, University of Hong Kong, Ohio University, Harvard Center Shanghai, and UN’s Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
- Intercultural Development Inventory © (IDI) assessment and development plan
- Informational interview program to connect with practitioners in areas of interest
- Alumni network of over 7,000 volunteers and participants
- Discounted enrollment to UN-mandated University for Peace Centre for Executive Education online certificate course
- Increase Intercultural competency through Intercultural Development Inventory © (IDI) assessment and development plan.
- Deepen research skills and emotional intelligence through an Experiential Learning project.
- Gain remote management experience through WorldTeach connection to local non-profit project that connects participating teachers to students in remote regions through classroom technology.
- Develop facilitation skills through structured best-practice sharing with local educators.
- Strengthen public speaking, facilitating, management, and leadership abilities through classroom instruction.
As a Global Education Leader, you will serve as full-time English instructors in schools throughout Hunan and Zhejiang provinces. Your time consists of 12-15 hours of instructional time and several hours per week leading extracurricular activities and sharing best practices with local teachers.
To qualify, all applicants must have the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree by May 15th and have physical diploma in hand by June 1st. If you are a graduating senior, please verify when your diploma will be issued to you with your Registrar.
- Have TEFL or TESOL certification or be committed to completing the WorldTeach TEFL Certification program during the pre-departure process
Placement & Housing
Your housing placement in China is likely to be individual unless a school gets more than one teacher. It is certainly possible to visit other volunteers based in the same province with some simple planning. WorldTeach is not alone in teaching English in Hunan and Zhejiang so some placements may have other foreign English teachers as well.
You are provided with teacher housing on the grounds of the school, and most schools have apartments set aside for foreign teachers. They are furnished and often quite large. The space you have to yourself would normally house a family of three, and comes with kitchens, internet, and warm showers. They do not have heat, however, so the winter months can be chilly.
FundThe volunteer contribution to the China Global Leadership program is $2,990. This amount in conjunction with local partner funding goes towards:
- Participation in WorldTeach’s Global Leadership professional development curriculum
- Pre-departure preparation
- WorldTeach TEFL Certification course
- Guidance through a rigorous visa acquisition process plus visa fee*
- Living stipend of 3000 RMB/month
- Supplemental overseas travel medical insurance
- Comprehensive orientation, mid-service, and end of service training conferences
- 24-hour in-country field staff support
- Access to a remote teacher quality support
- Alumni services and networking
*Visa fee of up to $140 USD for regular processing of China Z Visa
International travel to and from the program is the responsibility of the participant.
Many volunteers are able to successfully fundraise all or a significant portion of their program expenses. Please refer to our fundraising page for more information about fundraising possibilities.
Participants in the China Year program must:
- Be a native-level English speaker
- Be TEFL or TESOL certified* OR have at least 2 years of education-related, post-college work experience
- Have completed their undergraduate degree by May 15th and have physical diploma in hand by June 1st. If you are a graduating senior, please verify when your diploma will be issued to you with your Registrar.
- Be between the ages of 21 and 60
Be highly flexible, mature, and have a genuine interest in teaching English
*Applicants who do not hold TEFL or TESOL Certification are eligible to take part in the WorldTeach TEFL Certification process.